A new survey conducted by Guohe among mobile users in China reveals who is buying mobile apps, user preferences for iOS or Android, and user tolerance for ads appearing in their apps. Here are the highlights:
- 54% of users interviewed had Android phones, and 39% had jailbroken iPhones.
- Users were most accepting of ads within news apps and least tolerant of them in apps such as photography, graphics, or even location and map apps.
- Gaming as a category is a hit with both iOS and Android users, and it works well for advertisers.
- iPhones tend to be more expensive than their Android counterparts in China, with iOS users gravitating toward game, utility and shopping apps. On the other hand, Android users are more into reading apps.
- Only 23% of the study’s Android users ever purchased any apps, while about 25% of iPhone users surveyed prefer paid apps that are ad-free.
- Only 13% of Android users would rather buy an app that is ad-free rather than get a free app monetized by inserted ads.
And you can see how all this comes together from the following infographic…