Google has been on an application updating rampage for the past couple of days. On Monday, Google updated Gmail for Android, and on Tuesday iOS saw updates Gmail and YouTube. Today, Google Now, Google Voice, and Google Translate, and My Tracks all have updates waiting for them. That said, we’re more interested in the Google Now update, as it’s brought quite a few new tweaks along.
Here’s what the latest version of Google Search includes for Android 4.1+ devices
- Events nearby
- Suggestions to help with your research
- Boarding passes from Gmail (United only, more to come)
- Search by camera when at museums or shops
- Weather at upcoming travel destinations
- Approximate monthly summary of walking and biking activity
New voice actions:
- Post to Google+
- Say “What’s this song?” to find the song you hear
- Say “Scan a barcode” to find product info
Having the option to ask what song is playing and to scan a barcode is a pretty nifty feature, so we’re still wondering why Google’s enhanced voice search still doesn’t allow for actions like turning WiFi off. Nonetheless, it’s pretty easy to see that Google Now is ahead of the game.
If you updated to the latest version of Google Now, how are you liking it? What else would you like the applications to bring you information about?
If you’re rocking an Android 4.1+ device, be sure to update Google Now and all of the other Google apps you have installed here!