James Cheshire, Ed Manley, and Oliver O’Brien of the University College London’s Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA) thave eamed up with John Barratt of Trendsmap to create a map of New York that shows the languages of the tweets that are flowing out from the city.
Though 95% of tweets in New York are English, there is an interesting distribution of other languages in the remaining 5%. Not surprisingly Spanish is the second more dominant language and strong in the Bronx. Portuguese, which has a stronghold towards Newark, and Japanese are in third and fourth place, respectively.
The map identifies international hotspots like Liberty Island and Ellis and can even be used to view the tracks of the ferry boats between the two locations. You can find out more about the project on UCL CASA’s website and read this detailed analysis from co-creator Ed Manley.
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon