After Orange’s presentation, a panel titled “The Reality of Deploying the Latest Mobile Money Innovations” started. Participants included:
- Dag-Inge Flatraaker, Chairman M-Channel Expert Group, European Payment Council
- Mung-Ki Woo, Vice President, Payment and Contactless, Orange – France Telecom Group
- Hannes Van Rensburg, CEO, Fundamo
- Steve Granek, VP Business Development, Neustar
They’ve discussed hot topics such as NFC, mobile ticketing, mobile bill and utility payment, and 2D barcodes.
I must admit I haven’t heard much new – it was the usual “it’s coming and it will revolutionize the way we live and work” talk.
Here’s the recap:
- Mung-Ki argued that the best solution is to deploy contactless payments through SIM card, as people switch phones. He also talked about mobile payments as being a value-proposition not just for mobile operators, but for all stakeholders.
- Hannes agrees with the point, adding that his company was one of the first ones to support the idea.
- Steve Granek pointed out that Neustar sits at the intersection of all parties involved, adding that the industry evolved over time and that now operators and banks realize they need to work together to bring mobile payments to life.
- Dag-Inge talked about the regulatory framework.
- Finally, all participants agreed there’s a big potential in mobile payments.
As I said, nothing new. After the panel, it was a launch break, which I used to take some photos of the event…