Those hankering for the new Android-powered LG Ally on May 20 will be able to get their Verizon preorders started in two days. There are a lot of good things going for the Ally, and the leaked slides go over the device in detail. We already know about the specs: Android 2.1 (complete with Google Maps Navigation), a 3.2 megapixel camera with flash, a 3.2″ WVGA (800 x 480) touchscreen, slide-out QWERTY keyboard and Wi-Fi 802.11 n. The LG Ally apparently will not be shipping with the previously-speculated 1 Ghz Snapdragon processor, but rather the 600 Mhz (same as the Palm Pixi and Motorola Devour), alongside 256 MB of memory. The LG Ally will also be employing something called S-GPS, which is a way of simultaneously transmitting voice and location data to the carrier when making a call.
As for the software, it looks like there are some modest customizations to include a bottom dock for consistent shortcuts across multiple home screens (à la iPhone), though it is by and large a “Google Experience”, hopefully without any of that S-Class nonsense. The hardware is looking significantly more different than from its early Aloha days, which is for the best; the new design is much more sleek, curvy, and stylish. Overall, the Ally is certainly a step up from LG’s other Android slide, the Eve, and will butt heads with other midrange smartphones, like Motorola’s Devour.
There’s a big launch event happening today in NYC, and we’ve got two of our guys going to get some hands-on footage for y’all, so sit tight.
Full spec list after the jump!
- 800/1900 MHz CDMA, EVDO Rev A
- MSM7627, 600MHz processor
- Memory: ROM 512MB, RAM 256MB
- 3.2? Touch Screen, 800 x 480 Pixels, 262K Color TFT
- Slide-Out QWERTY Keyboard
- BLUETOOTH 2.1 + EDR
- 3.2 Megapixel with Autofocus and Flash; Dedicated Camera/Video Key
- 3.5mm Headset Jack
- Android 2.1 OS; Google Experience Device
- LG Widgets including calendar widget, Weather+time, Socialite widget
- Integrated Google and Facebook Contacts in LG Socialite
- Push Gmail and Exchange, Google Calendar
- 4GB microSD pre-installed
- S-GPS and aGPS Capable
- Speakerphone MP3 Ringtones (Embedded Ringtones, Vibrating Alerts, and Silent)
- Visual Voice Mail Capable
- Google Apps include Google Search;
- Google Maps with Navigation Beta, Transit, and Wikipedia Information;
- Google Talk with Presence; Gmail; YouTube™; Latitude; Google Calendar
- 1000s of Apps and 100s of Widgets Available in Android Market
- Android Webkit HTML5-based Browser
- Google Over the Air Updates
- Dimensions: 4.56? (H) x 2.22? (W) x 0.62? (D)
- Weight: 5.57 oz.
- Usage Time: Up to 450 mins or Standby Time: Up to 500 hr