IntoMobile

Breaking news, information, and analysis on the latest mobile phones and mobile technology

Open NavigationOpen Search
  • Home
  • Platforms
    • iOS / iPhone OS
    • Android
    • Windows Phone
    • BlackBerry OS
  • Hardware
    • New Hardware
    • Tablets
    • Reviews
    • Rumors
  • Carriers
    • AT&T
    • Sprint
    • T-Mobile
    • Verizon
  • Manufacturers
    • Apple
    • Samsung
    • HTC
    • LG
    • Motorola
  • Best VPNs
  • Best AI Tools

San Francisco fires back over cell phone radiation lawsuit

July 26, 2010 by Marin Perez - 7 Comments

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )

San Francisco is actually a hotbed of smartphone activity with multiple mobile startups and everyone and their mom rocking an Apple iPhone, but the city is in a war with the mobile industry over the issue of cell phone radiation.

The industry’s trade association, the CTIA, recently filed a lawsuit against San Francisco’s ordinance which requires vendors to publicly display how much radiation is emitted by the mobile devices. Not surprisingly, the city isn’t happy with this move.

“I am disappointed that the association representing the wireless communication industry has decided to challenge our landmark consumer information law in court,” San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said in a prepared statement. “This law is not an attack on the wireless industry or their products.”

Newsome also suggests that San Francisco is just trying to provide customers with more information so they can make an informed purchase. He said the CTIA could cooperate with the city on showing more transparency instead of wasting money with this legal process.

The CTIA has always opposed the law and previously said it will only lead to customer confusion. All cell phones sold in the United States have to pass through the Federal Communications Commission and that governmental agency doesn’t allow devices on the market that emit a certain amount of radiation. The CTIA argues that is more than enough.

Along with the lawsuit, the CTIA wants to put the hurt on San Francisco’s bottom line and it will be pulling its annual trade show from the city. Along with inconveniencing me, this move could take away a lot of tourist dollars because the event generally brings in about 68,000 mobile phone business folk. I know firsthand how busy downtown San Francisco gets when the CTIA show rolls in to town.

We’ll keep an eye on this one, as it is a tricky issue with valid points on both sides. In the meanwhile, feel free to let us know what you think in the comments.

[Photo]

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )

Back to top ▴

Back to top ▴

Follow IntoMobile

38k
36k
4k
13k
12k

Most Recent Posts

  • iQOO 16 surfaces in IMEI listing ahead of expected global launch
  • Realme Watch S5 brings bright AMOLED display and 20-day battery life for under Rs 8,000
  • Realme 16T arrives in India with massive 8,000 mAh battery and 50MP camera
  • Nuu’s new $250 smartphone packs dual AMOLED displays and 5G connectivity
  • Verizon announces massive FIFA World Cup 2026 ticket giveaway for customers

Get Updates Via E-Mail

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

About IntoMobile

  • About IntoMobile
  • Contact IntoMobile
  • Send us News Tips
  • Privacy Policy

Social Links

  • IntoMobile on Facebook
  • IntoMobile on Twitter
  • IntoMobile on Google+
  • IntoMobile on YouTube

Copyright © 2006-2021 IntoMobile. All rights reserved.