We’re not sure if this qualifies as a rumor, but the “rice effect” has been circulating the internets with seeming authority from the Washington Post. If you are unfortunate enough to drop your precious electronic device in the toilet (stop using your phone on the toilet!) or sink, and you didn’t have the foresight to get handset insurance, you’re basically S.O.L. That is, unless you have a bowl of uncooked rice handy. Apparently, covering the soaked device in a bowl of uncooked rice will absorb all the moisture out of the electronic gadget-turned-paper-weight back into a fully functional mobile phone/pda/ipod/etc – keep in mind to immediately remove the battery and DO NOT try to turn it on after the dunk. Of course, the soaked battery is another issue. A dunked battery is often-times a dead battery. But, hey, all you gotta do is buy a cheap battery instead of a whole new device!
We’re not going to try and validate this claim, as it would involve dunking our precious toys into the drink, but you, our readers, are more than welcome to try it out yourselves! Please let us know how it goes.
Side note: Wikihow says that pure alcohol (100%, 200 Proof) will also dry out that gadget of your in a jiffy! Just dunk the device (without battery, of course) into a bowl of the pure alcohol and you’re set!