The new service expands and enhances features first introduced last year with Parental Controls, allowing customers to:
- Set thresholds for voice minutes;
- Set specific limits for text, picture, instant and video messaging as part of pay-as-you-go or message bundle plans;
- Set time of day restrictions for data use and messaging;
- Create lists of “trusted” and “blocked” numbers; and
- Employ content filters.
Usage Controls is available for $4.99 per line per month. Customers must have a Nationwide Calling Plan, either Family Share or single line.
In addition, Verizon has also unveiled what they call “Chaperone 2.0,” a 10-buck a month service that offers parents a full family security solution, which provides assurance as to where children are and what services they are using. With Chaperone 2.0, parents gain:
- The ability to locate multiple Chaperone Child devices at the same time;
- Family SMS Messaging that allows a text message to be sent to one or more Chaperone Child phones from the Chaperone Parent application or Chaperone website;
- Changes to the Child Zone settings, allowing parents to add time and date settings or multiple children per Child Zone;
- Integration with VZ Navigator – allows parents with VZ Navigator to receive turn-by-turn directions to their child’s location; and
- An improved Chaperone Web site that’s easier to use.