TomTom is joining the “iOS 4 upgrade wave.” The updated application is now in version 1.4, packing tons of new features that take advantage of the background processes introduced in the iOS 4.
Here’s what’s new:
- Navigation while calling – just because you’re on a call, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t see your map. Navigation won’t stop and you’ll see visual instructions even when you’re talking to someone.
- Spoken background navigation – if some other app really needs to display something on the screen, TomTom will still providing you with spoken turn-by-turn instructions in the background. Very, very cool!
- Updated maps – TomTom says that an average of 15% of road information changes every year, hence they’re including the latest maps in this release.
- Route sharing – you can send details of your current location, destination and route to your contacts via email.
- Departure reminder – ability to plan from TomTom app and include a planned trip in your calendar.
- Eco-friendly routing – TomTom can suggest more fuel-efficient routes, if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Car symbols – you can choose the car icon, symbol and color that “best meets your style.”
In addition to navigation, there’s also TomTom Traffic service which for $19.99 per year will bring you real-time traffic updates and incident reports on your routes. It’s available via in-app purchase.
TomTom with U.S. maps costs $49.99 and the version that also includes Canadian routes could be yours for $10 more.