Opera just released their first ever “State of the Mobile Web” for Q1 2008. They collect aggregate data, anonymously of course, about all of their Opera Mini users and are now sharing some interesting statistics:
- There are 44 million people using Opera Mini (chart above) and the number of users in Q108 vs Q407 alone grew an astonishing 26%
- In the month of March alone, Opera had 31.5 TB of data traffic
- Indonesia and America are tied for first place with 63% of all traffic catering towards social networking sites
- Over 60% of the traffic in the Ukraine is for sports and entertainment websites
- The United Kingdom is the leader in mobile email with 11% of traffic dedicated to web based email services
- In Germany 7% of traffic is towards ecommerce sites
The Into Mobile team, me especially, love Opera Mini and I can personally say that except for one or two sites that heavily use AJAX, Opera Mini has officially become my browser of choice on my Nokia N82.
Head on over to http://www.operamini.com/ on your mobile phone and start downloading.
Julie Sajnani, Opera’s Communication Manager, has been keeping in touch with me and asked what sort of information I’d like to see in future versions of this report. Feel free to add your feedback iin the comments below, here are mine:
- Average amount of data, per user, in the top 10 countries that consume the most
- Version breakdown: how many use Opera Mini 3 vs 4 vs the latest 4.1
- Which devices/brands use Opera Mini the most, top 10